Information for Applicants

Helgoland by L. Michelsen

Applications for the MSc. "Environmental Management" (EM):

The application period for EM for the academic year 2021/22 (start of the programme in October 2021) will be February 15th until March 31st 2021.

Please refer to requirements and structure of the programme

Application for the MSc. "Sustainability, Society and the Environment" (SSE):

The application period for SSE for the academic year 2021/22 (start of the programme in October 2021) will be February 15th until March 31st 2021

Please refer to requirements and structure of the programme

Please do not send any application documents by post or email as they will not be processed!

Applications will be processed in May and June.
In July you will receive a notification on your application success.

Please refrain from enquiries before. Due to the high number of applications we will not be able to reply to enquiries.

Information for international applicants

To find out details on accomodation, visa & residency permits, health insurance, financial assistance, counseling and other information relevant to international students, please refer to the information provided by our "International Center" here at Kiel University:

Important information for applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam: Certificate of the Academic Examination Board
Applications from China (except Hong Kong), Mongolia and Vietnam will only be accepted if the certificate from the Academic Examination Board is enclosed. This means that every applicant from these countries has to apply to the Academic Examination Board prior to her/his application to Kiel University.
A Bachelor's degree is requested as a prerequisite for admission. On receipt of our letter of admission, you may apply for your visa at the Academic Examination Board. This avoids requesting an appointment at the visa office.

Please consult the following websites for more details:
China, Vietnam, Mongolia

Health insurance

Students have to enrol in a German public health insurance of their choice. Insurance evidence or a proof of an exemption from the statutory health insurance scheme has to be presented at the registration.

Further information is available here:

Fees and other costs

There are no tuition fees, but every semester you will have to pay the "semester fee" of approx. 130 € to the “Studentenwerk” plus a one-off registration fee at the first registration at the CAU of approx. 60 € .

Having done this you will be able to get cheap lunches at the canteen (German "Mensa") and free rides with the public transportation within the greater area of Kiel.

Depending on the study programme you might additionally have to pay partial costs for excursions or field trips.

Monthly expenses for the cost of living in Kiel are approx. 600-800 € per month. As it may be difficult to find jobs, please take this into account for your budgeting!

We do not provide any scholarships, but you can find information on financial assistance here:

FAQ - Frequently asked questions

General questions:

Do I need to send a paper-version of my application other than my application submitted in the online system?
No. Applications will only be possible through an online application. Application documents sent by post or email will not be processed.

Can I still send my application after the deadline?

Can I apply with a NON-German bachelors degree?
Yes. Please check the websites of the respective programme for specific requirements. 

What are the necessary documents I need to provide with my application?
- Scan of passport
- Proof of English language proficiency (i.e. language certificate)
- University degree certificate
- Official Transcript of Records listing all classes
- CV (curriculum vitae) - max. 1 page!
- Proof of special achievements and extracurricular qualification mentioned in the entrance test (i.e. work experience, voluntary work, scholarships, etc.)
- Letters of reference
- APS Certificate if necessary (applicants from China, Vietnam and Mongolia)

Important note: For documents in languages other than English or German you need to provide officially certified translations!

All provided documents must be of high-quality and in the correct order (e.g., transcript of records).

All incomplete applications and unreadble copies of certificates will be rejected.

Will I get an acknowledgment letter when my application letter is received by the university?
You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application after you have submitted your application.

Can I apply for multiple programmes?
Yes. But you have to file separate applications on the specific online application form, each including all necessary attachments.

Fees and other costs:

Is there an application fee to be paid?