Admission requirements for EM
A Bachelor’s degree (B. Sc.) with a grade of “good” (German grading of at least 2.5) or higher, from the fields of natural sciences, economics, agricultural sciences, forestry, geography, engineering with particular relevance to the environment, or an equivalent degree in a related degree programme.
The bachelor´s degree is the basis for your application to this master´s degree programme at Kiel University.
As all classes are given in English, a good level of English (written and spoken) is mandatory. Students whose first language is not English must provide evidence of proficiency in English. Accepted as proof of language proficiency are:
- TOEFL® ITP (Paper-based test): 580 points (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- TOEFL® iBT (Internet-based test): 90 points
- IELTS 6.5 points, no band less than 6.0 (International English Language Testing System)
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English
- equivalent certificate (i.e. CEFR - C1)
- 8 years of English classes at German Schools in "Sekundarstufe I und II"
- a stay of 6 months in a native English speaking country
- at least 1 year of studies at university in a country where English is a native language and the language of instruction is entirely English.
Subject-specific entrance test
Additionally to the academic and language requirements, a subject-specific entrance test assessed by the joint examination board of the Faculty of Agricultural and Nutritional Sciences and the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences at the Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel must be passed.
When applying, you are required to describe and provide proof of the aspects stated below, and include information on relevant knowledge and training skills. Please ensure you respond to these aspects as completely as possible, including details of why you have applied to study this programme, and details of how your experience and skills are relevant.
You need to consider the following aspects:
- What are your professional aims after finishing the master´s programme and how will the master´s programme help you to achieve your professional aims?
- Are there any academic achievements relevant to environmental management that are not reflected in your degree certificate, for example: scholarships, awards, scientific publications or research funds which you have raised?
- Do you have any work experience relevant to environmental management? Please describe the employment as well as your responsibilities and indicate the respective period(s).
- Have you done any voluntary work relevant to environmental management? Describe the activity as well as your responsibilities indicating the year and duration.
- Do you have any experience of working or studying abroad?
In the online application process you will only have a maximum of 4.000 characters including spaces to answer these aspects.
For this programme, relevant work experience is welcome but not required.
The application period for the academic year 2016/17 (start of the programme October 2016) starts March 15, 2017 and closes April 30, 2017 (deadline for submission of the application is April 30, 2016; 23:59 CEST).
Applications will be processed in May and June.
In July you will receive a notification on your application success.
Please refrain from enquiries before mid July. Due to the high number of applications, we will not be able to reply to enquiries.
Applications must be submitted
through our online application portal
available >> here <<
Please do not send any application documents by post or email as they will not be processed!
Attachments you are going to be asked for are:
- Scan of passport
- Proof of English language proficiency (i.e. language certificate)
- University degree certificate
- Official Transcript of records listing all classes
- CV (curriculum vitae) - max. 1 page!
- Proof of special achievements mentioned in your letter of motivation (i.e. work experience, voluntary work, scholarships, etc.)
- Letters of reference (not mandatory)
- APS Certificate: applicants from China, Vietnam and Mongolia
All provided documents must be of high-quality and in the correct order (e.g., transcript of records). All incomplete applications and unreadable copies of certificates will be rejected.
Important note: For documents in languages other than English or German you need to provide officially certified translations!
For further information please check: Information for applicants